Fertility and Food - some nutrient rich treats
These are a couple of recipes that I shared in my Fertility Yoga Workshop at The Stables Yoga Centre in York at the weekend. It's always nice to have a little sweet hit and a warm drink an afternoon of yoga, and so I made some treats that were nutrient dense and fertility focused yet still delicious too. But they are perfect not just for women trying to conceive or pregnant women, but actually for anyone look for a yummy treat that's actually rather good for you too - avoiding refined sugar and processed foods and packing in good fats, antioxidants, vitamins and trace minerals. Here's the recipes. Enjoy!
These little chocolate nuggets are packed with superfoods, designed to nourish and energise the body. Goji berries are high in antioxidants, a powerhouses of vitamins, minerals and health-giving carbohydrates and protein. The nuts contain ‘good fats’, maca is incredibly nutrient rich and is good at balancing the endocrine system and supporting adrenal health. The super greens help detoxify and eliminate toxins from the body as well as being full of vitamin C, B vitamins, folic acid, potassium, iron, zinc and copper.
- 30g goji berries
- 115g cashew or almond butter
- 60g maple or agave syrup
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 60g dark chocolate, melted
- 2 tsp maca powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp super-green powder / wheatgrass
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 30g hemp seeds
- 30g dried cherries
- to decorate - shedded coconut, cocao powder, crushed nuts, bee pollen
1. Put the goji berries in a bowl, cover with water, leave to soak for 30 mins. Drain
2. Put the cashew/almond nut butter, maple syrup, cacoa powder and melted chocolate in a food processor and blitz to combine.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and process to form a dough. 4. Chill in the fridge for around 4 hours, or overnight, to firm. Or place in freezer to firm up.
5. Use a spoon to scoop out the mixture and roll into 16 walnut sized balls.
6. Roll in a little shredded coconut, crushed nuts, cocoa. Then place on some baking parchment to set.
Carrot Cake Flapjacks
Little squares of goodness, but still a delicious treat. Sweetened with fruit and maple syrup, and packed with seeds, nuts, whole grains and of course carrots! Figs have long been renowned for their ability to improve fertility and boost libido. Ground almonds and oats provide protein, and hemp seeds are high in Omega 3.
75g coconut oil or organic butter
150g rolled oats
50g ground almonds
150g soft figs, chopped
6 tablespoons maple syrup
1 medium carrot (around 75g)
2 tablespoons dessicated coconut
50g pumpkin or hemp seeds
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or ground cardamon pinch ground ginger