Ready for a delicious, healthy, and quick-to-make breakfast? I love pancakes for breakfast, but time is often not on my side! But these are super quick and easy - you do the whole process in a blender. And using a teacup for measuring saves time too. (The pancakes may vary a little from cup to cup but it’s really the ratio that makes this recipe work, so don’t worry).
Since they are sweetened with natural nutrient-rich bananas and maple syrup and use whole grains and nuts instead of flour, you can happily eat these pancakes with gusto. They are filling, healthy and warming - perfect for colder mornings. Yum!
1 teacup of oats (about 80g)
½ a teacup of nuts (about 50g) – pecans or almonds
1 cup (150ml) of milk, your choice (cows, almond etc)
1 medium banana
coconut oil or butter, for frying
the juice of ½ a lemon
a pinch of cinnamon
a tiny grating of nutmeg
honey or maple syrup
yoghurt of your choice (natural, greek, coconut etc)
- Put the oats into a blender and blitz until you have a rough scruffy four
- Grate in the apple. Then add the nuts, milk and banana to the blender and blitz until combined.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium heat and add a little coconut oil or butter. Allow it to melt, then add ladlefuls of the pancake batter to make Scotch pancake rounds. Cook for 2–3 minutes, or until bubbles rise to the surface.
- Use a spatula to carefully flip the pancakes over and cook on the other side.
- The first batch are always more delicate, so don’t worry if they look a bit scruffy. Keep them warm while you cook the rest.
- Once all your pancakes are done, use a speed peeler to peel your apples into long pieces then put into a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Serve the pancakes stacked and topped with the apple, maple syrup and a little yoghurt.
- You can change it up and serve with berries, stewed autumn fruit or more banana instead of the cinnamon apple too.
From the wonderful book "A Modern Way to Cook" by Anna Jones (VERY highly recommended, she is an really inspiring foodie lady).